Sunday, January 06, 2008

Realist v. Idealist Tensions

I have come to the realization that I have a mixed political ideology. I currently stand between the camps of realism and idealism. My realist point of view and Protestant roots are tugging with my personal sense of optimism and charity. Sometimes these views can work together to inform my opinion. For example, I believe that welfare should help people up, but should also make them work for that aid. There should be accountability for one's actions, that is true compassion. Personal responsibility will give charity and also acknowledges the true nature of man.

When it comes to other issues, there is a bit more complication in my personal philosophy.

I believe that there should be a strong shield along the border with great interior enforcement. I also think that there should be waterholes in the middle of the desert for those who are crossing illegally. Is this encouraging illegal immigration? No, not necessarily. We value the dignity of the human being, while simultaneously enforcing the law. My solution is intense border enforcement with punishment within our own nation's borders. Deportation should be the solution for criminal aliens, but those who did not perpetrate a crime (if someone takes a Social Security number falsely should be prosecuted) will be given residency. They will then forfeit citizenship, with an American passport and voting rights forfeit as well.

I believe in punishing evil, through even warfare and attacks (retaliatory attacks, not preemptive ones). At the same time, I believe that those attacks should not lead to devices of torture. Even the most heinous of enemies have dignity and human rights. Nazis were tried and then executed. I do not believe that torture should be given to terrorists, how horrible the criminals that they are. We lower ourselves to their position when that occurs.

I think that we should continue to aid people on the high seas. There was talks amongst conservatives that we should not have helped the North Korean ship that was attacked by pirates. Helping those that we are estranged with when it comes to that issue is incredibly important.

I believe in the fact that all men and women are inherently sick. We have positive streaks throughout history, with some goodness still reigning within that fallen state. I believe in the optimism of Lockean Liberalism while holding fast to the tenets of Hobbes that man's life is "nasty, broodish and short." Perhaps this tension is ideal, although buying into one reality would be a lot easier. I think I will live within the confines of tension, with the philosophy of personal responsibility holding together these two worlds. Tension is something that makes us humans and members of a republic.

No comments: