Friday, January 11, 2008

Barack Obama. A candidate of [non]"change."

In my opinion, Senator Barack Obama is the most overrated candidate of the 2008 Presidential Race.

I say this not because I disagree with his policies, but because he is for “hope” and does not take a stand on issues. Representative Dennis Kucinich has a far left outlook on policy but I respect him. He has an unwavering position and has core [liberal] values. Senator Obama on the other hand talks about unifying the country and is for change. Change. To paraphrase another presidential hopeful, change can be good or bad. (He went on to say that for Democrats, it means change out of your pocket) It is not enough to be for an abstract ideal. If I ran for president, I would be for puppies. Please, grant us some concretes.

“Change we can believe in.” Obama wants to change healthcare. Alright, you are in the US Senate. Why don’t you propose legislation on this? Oh, I’m sorry. Vote for Sen. Obama and then President Obama will push for legislation in Congress via the Bully Pulpit of the White House. Why don’t you band together with the other Democratic presidential hopefuls and push for healthcare reform? Vote for me, and then I will change things! Is this really a fairytale, like President Clinton suggested? Are there general inconsistencies?

Of course Sen. Obama cannot change foreign policy and war strategy. In the case of domestic policy, Obama has the capacity to change things through proposing legislation. Former governors and mayors do not have this opportunity.

I thoroughly enjoy the rosy picture that the senator paints. He is a natural when it comes to communicating, but why can’t he also perform? Why can’t he push for change right now? He has had a few years in the US Senate. Please, can we judge men and women by the content of their character and record, opposed to someone’s oratory skill and style?

No comments: