Saturday, March 03, 2007

Living Out One's Faith

In Lesslie Newbigin's Gospel in a Pluralist Society, there is a passage that deals with Christians living out their faith. He says,
How is it possible that the gospel should be credible, that people should come to believe that the power which has the last word in human affairs is represented by a man hanging on a cross? I am suggesting that the only answer, the only hermeneutic of the gospel, is a congregation of men and women who believe it and live by it.
This passage seems to suggest that people within the Christian faith needs to be prophetic in their challengings, in addition (and perhaps more importantly) lead people through their actions. For the act of prophecy will only carry weight when Christians back their words up with action.

Once again, I am drawn to the tale of William Wilberforce, who overcame the stiff opposition of parliament members to outlaw the slave trade. He pushed hard from a Christian conviction, being in the world, not of it. How beautiful that God is able to use people like Wilberforce to denounce evil and also champion morality through his life. We ought to do this. I know that I want to make my life matter, and it will only matter if I live out my faith. This is an excellent hermeneutic.

No comments: